Wednesday, 15 October 2008

First day of classes!

Monday should have been my first day but classes were cancelled province-wide due to a transport strike! So today was my first day... and it didn´t go too bad! I had been worried about having enough things to do, and not stalling to a halt... however that seems unlikely as the main problem is going to be controlling the kids. I had an easy start with the 8 year olds, and only about 10 of them. We managed "good morning" once they had mastered my strange handwriting, but bingo was a bit too complicated. Then I had four 10 year olds, then an uncontrollable NINETEEN 11 year olds... I was just trying to get them into groups for a fun game when a couple of doctors pulled up outside and everyone went MAD. Turns out they were due to have some vaccinations... cue mild hysteria and a fair bit of crying. I don´t think it helped that nearly the whole school (about 50 of them) had their jabs all in the same room, at the same time, with everyone watching! Anyway more of the same classes tomorrow so I am going to try and prepare some good activities that involve everyone, that and some crowd control.

No comments: